A prospective intern and an employer meet for an interview to determine the candidate’s qualifications and suitability for the internship position. In addition to behavioral questions to gauge the candidate’s personality and working style, the interview may ask about the candidate’s education, experience, abilities, and aspirations. The purpose of the interview is for the employer to decide if the applicant is a suitable fit for the internship and the business culture.
What is a thank you letter for an internship interview?
A written expression of gratitude to the interviewer for taking the time to meet with the candidate and consider them for the internship opportunity is the thank you letter for an internship interview. A brief review of the applicant’s credentials, key takeaways from the interview, a declaration of continued interest in the position, and other information are often included in the letter.
It is generally considered good practice to send a thank you letter after an interview as it shows your appreciation and professionalism. It also serves as an opportunity to reiterate your qualifications and enthusiasm for the position, which can keep you top-of-mind with the interviewer.
What is the importance of sending a thank you letter for an internship interview?
Sending a thank-you letter following an internship interview might be advantageous for several key reasons:
- Showing appreciation: A thank you letter is a polite and professional way to express gratitude to the interviewer for meeting with the candidate and considering them for the internship opportunity.
- Reinforcing interest: The letter serves as an opportunity to reiterate the candidate’s qualifications and enthusiasm for the position, which can help keep them top-of-mind with the interviewer.
- Making a lasting impression: By sending a well-written and thoughtful thank you letter, the candidate can leave a positive and lasting impression on the interviewer.
- Differentiating from other candidates: Many candidates may need more time to send a thank you letter, so sending one can help the candidate stand out from the competition.
- Provide additional information: If you forgot to mention something important during the interview or want to clarify something, a thank you note can serve as an opportunity to provide additional information to the interviewer.
Guidelines on How To Create a Proper Thank You Letter for Internship Interview
1. Verify the availability of the interviewer’s contact details.
- Before the interview, you should ask for a visiting card or an email address. Contact the individual you’ve been in contact with to find out the details if you have yet to ask for this information.
2. Select the format for your thank-you letter.
- A typed letter presents as more formal and personal. However, remember that delivering such a letter would require more time than sending an email. Email might be a superior option today regarding efficiency and modern expectations. This is especially true if you correspond with the business via email.
3. Thank the recipient at the start of the letter.
- Make sure the words “thank you” appear in the opening sentence because this letter aims to express gratitude to your interviewer. Make sure to express gratitude to your interviewer for taking the time to meet with you or chat about the internship. The person who receives your letter might be interviewing many other applicants for other kinds of internships. Remember to mention the internship you are interested in and the position you have applied for.
4. In the thank-you note, include information about your educational background.
- Additionally, explain why you believe you are the best applicant for the internship. These topics were probably covered during your interview. Therefore, there is a chance to reiterate the knowledge or abilities most pertinent to the position.
5. Share your enthusiasm about the opportunity if you like.
- You might once more thank the person and share your excitement for the internship in the closing paragraph of your thank-you letter. It would be best if you also gave a good justification for applying for the internship. Your interviewer should understand that you anticipate hearing from them. The letter’s closing paragraph allows you to address any concerns or add information that would be useful to the reader’s choice.
6. Check the letter of appreciation for errors
- Spend some time editing your letter of gratitude. Before sending the letter to the addressee, ensure it is free of grammar, spelling, or other errors. After all, you must be certain that you have all the information you require regarding the organization providing the internship and your interviewer.
7. Keep your note of gratitude brief.
- Make sure your thank-you letter will take the reader up to a few minutes to read by considering their time. A typical thank-you note comprises three to four short paragraphs that don’t even fill up a page.
8. End the letter with final thanks
- Thanks again to the recipients in the last paragraph of the letter.
Templates of Thank You Letter for Internship Interview
[Date] [Title of Recipient] [Organization Name] [Organization Address] Dear [Mr./Ms.] [Recipient Last Name], Thank you for taking the time to interview me for the [name of the internship program] internship. I am enthusiastic about [specific reasons the internship looks interesting to you]. The internship program is an excellent opportunity for me to develop [Mention the skill you want to develop]. [Also, mention you want to develop that skill in a few sentences. Provide an instance that highlights how you may contribute to the organization]. I want to thank you once again for considering me for the internship. [Mention a proper reason you wish to intern with the organization]. Kindly let me know whether you need any other clarifications or information from me. Sincerely, [Your name]
[Date] [Title of Recipient] [Organization Name] [Organization Address] Dear [Recipient Last Name], I want to extend my thanks for taking out time to interact with me about the [Internship Program Name] internship opportunity at the [Organization Name]. I am enthusiastic about the chance to work with your award-winning team members. The internship program is a god-sent opportunity for me to have real-life experience and will enhance the skills I have acquired as a junior reporter for my university newspaper. I am deeply passionate about narrating stories which create a difference. I covered a local election recently when I found out that one of the campaigns was spreading incorrect details among students. Thanks to my timely and accurate reporting, the candidate acknowledged their mistake and apologized publicly. I look forward to getting a chance to continue creating a difference. I can achieve the same at [Organization Name] on a larger scale. Thank you once again for considering me for this internship program. I have been following your newspaper and magazines for many years now. I am extremely interested in being a part of it. Kindly let me know whether you need any other answers or additional information. Sincerely, [Your Name]
[Date] [Title of Recipient] [Organization Name] [Organization Address] Dear Mr. /Mrs. [Recipient Last Name], Thank you for meeting me to discuss the [Internship Program Name] internship opportunity at the [Organization Name]. I enjoyed getting familiar with your organization and the role. I am also keen to work with your expert team while polishing my social media marketing skills. We discussed that my responsibility as a social media in charge of my college had given me the necessary skills for this position. I have used my college's official social media account to spread awareness about our monthly fundraising programs. My social media marketing led to a massive public donation boost. I look forward to doing similar social media engagements for your business and clients. It was a pleasure to know your company wishes to incorporate more video content as I completed a professional video-editing course. I also observed that videos got more engagement on our social media profiles. Therefore, I want to polish my skills to make more professional-looking content. I want to thank you once again for your kind consideration. Kindly let me know whether you have any other queries or any extra details you require from me. I am looking forward to getting a refund from you. Sincerely, [Your Name]
[Date] [Title of Recipient] [Organization Name] [Organization Address] Dear Mr. /Mrs. [Recipient Last Name], I am grateful for your taking the time to discuss the [Internship Program] position available at [Organization Name]. I am thrilled about the opportunity to intern with such an established organization. The internship program, as you discussed, is a great match for my interests and skills. My advanced degree in accounting will help me become a productive team member. Apart from my enthusiasm, I will also be willing to learn about the organization and the accounting field. I appreciate the time you took to interview me. I am very interested in working for you and look forward to hearing from you. If I can provide you with additional information, please let me know. I appreciate your consideration. Sincerely, [Your Name]
[Date] [Title of Recipient] [Organization Name] [Organization Address] Dear Mr. /Mrs. [Recipient Last Name], Thank you for sparing time to interview me on [Date] and responding to my queries about the [Internship Program Name] internship at [Organization Name]. I am thrilled after a detailed discussion with you about the position in the [Organization Name] and would love to get an opportunity to join the team this winter. I also look forward to implementing the lessons I learn in my journalism classes during the internship program. The writing skills I taught while I worked for my school newspaper will help me excel in the new role. When you mentioned teamwork as a crucial value at [Organization Name], I instantly thought about the collaborative efforts I put in during my tenure as the school newspaper editor. I am excited about the opportunity to put these skills to use and know more about the publication and reporting industry. I thank you once again for this interesting opportunity. I look forward to hearing from you on Thursday. Sincerely, [Your Name]
A positive impression of you as a candidate is made if you send the internship interview thank-you letter to your interviewer. The thank-you message is professional and shows that you adhere to the fundamental etiquette guidelines. By showing the interviewer your appreciation, you are letting them know how much you cherish and respect their time.
As the interviewer makes their final selection, your thank-you letter is essential to ensure that you are at the top of their mind. The interviewer will see that you are interested in the job if you take the time to write a thank-you note.