A family is a fundamental place where a human being finds unconditional solace. The love and warmth in a family cannot be compared with any other form of relationship.
And, in a family, the purest relationship is between a child and their mother. The highest level of love and affection can be seen in that relationship. And with a stepmom, things are not much different. In this evolving world, we have seen the evolution of the relationship between children and their stepmom.
The evolution has made it easier for a stepmom to adjust to the new family. If you are one of those who have a solid relationship with their stepmom, be thankful for that.
It is always good to be grateful for things and relations in your life. There is so much deprivation all around. In order to show your love to your stepmom, the best way to go is a thank you letter to stepmom.
This article will help you write a heartfelt thank you letter to your stepmom. The tips and samples given in the article will make it a cakewalk for you.
But before that let us look a bit into:
1) What is a thank you letter?
2) Why should you write a thank you letter to stepmom?
What is a thank you letter?
A thank-you letter is a letter that is given to show your love and gratefulness. It shows the receiver that you look at the efforts they made and that you are grateful for them.
These letters are very informal, emotional and can be accompanied by a small but meaningful gift.
They are one of the most intimate objects in the whole world. And that is precisely what makes them more special. They may often include the inside jokes and anecdotes that mean a lot to the sender and the receiver. It is a small package of excitement, warmth and gratitude.
To add to their value, these letters are wrapped in honesty. The raw emotions that ooze out of them make them a tickling object.
Why should you write a thank you letter to stepmom?
The relationship of a person with their stepmom is often a complicated one. It takes time and a certain level of trust for the adjustment to take place. And believe me, it is a slow process.
But a stepmom fills the place with a mom in your life. It is a very difficult job. But if you want to make it easy, then acknowledge the efforts she is making to fill in the shoes.
Be mindful of what you say. Take her out for a nice dinner when she feels low. Gift her something. Run errands for her. Do not forget her birthday. Sit with her. Talk to her. And most importantly, write her a heartfelt thank you letter.
That thank you letter will go miles to show how much you care for her. It will help you establish a better relationship with her. And believe me, it will improve your relationship with your father too.
But the main issue is, how to write a thank you letter that conveys your emotions clearly?
Keep reading the article. You will know.
Tips to help you write a thank you letter to stepmom
Writing is one of the most difficult things on this planet. And writing a letter specifically is a tougher job because it demands a certain level of understanding of one’s own self. The feelings one wants to convey do not always come out that meaningfully on a piece of paper. It can overwhelm even the best of us. But believe me, there is no shame in that. We will make things easy for you.
Here are some tips that will help you write a thank you letter to stepmom:
– First of all, select the mode of sending the letter: There are various modes in which one can send a thank you letter. With the advent of technology, emails have become more widespread and easier. You can type a letter and mail it to your stepmom. Or you can choose the old school way of writing the letter by hand. I always choose the latter one. But increasingly there is a third method that is being adopted by people. It is by hiring an agency that specialises in writing letters. You can go for them if that’s convenient for you. But if you have come this far in this article, you are very close to writing on your own.
– Typed letter vs Hand-written letter: This is another thing that needs to be figured out before you start working on the letter. If you are sending the letter by post, you can send either of the two letters. But if you ask me, I will always recommend you send a handwritten one. It is more intimate. It shows that you have made an effort. A handwritten letter hits the right chords of the heart. But, decide for yourself. Remember, something is better than nothing.
– Selecting the stationery: If you are writing by hand, you must select the stationery beforehand. You must choose the kinds of pencils or pens that you will use. You must choose the size and colour of the paper you will use. There are some really beautiful handmade papers that can be used to write such letters. Believe me, it makes a difference. So, you need to finalise all that before beginning.
– The language: You are not writing an academic research paper. You are writing a letter to perhaps one of the closest persons in your life. You must keep the language simple, comprehendible and informal. There is no point that one needs to prove here. It is far more important to get your emotions on paper than to write a very eloquent literary piece. Always use your mother tongue and go easy on the vocabulary.
– The words that you will use: The words that you use must be honest and straight from the heart. They must not be too difficult. The letter should be easy on the eyes and well as the brain.
– Attach a picture: Remember the last time you went to a beach? Or the last time you were baking a cake together? Or maybe you were teaching her how to drive? Find those pictures and attach them with the letter. They will make the letters more intimate and warmer.
– Send a gift: It will be really good if you find a nice gift that you can send along with the letter. The gift does not have to be a large or even an expensive one. But it has to be a meaningful one. A gift that has some value to you and your stepmom. It can be as small as a notebook but if it carries some meaning, it is worth it.
– Be Emotional: Always remember, these letters mean nothing if you do not show your emotions. Be honest and do not try to hide any emotions. You must be as real and emotional as you are. It must not look artificial. Organic thank you letters are the best thing that you can give to your stepmom.
– Be Informal: Please leave the formal language outside the house before starting to write these letters. It is best to be informal and open. That way, the letter will make more sense. Also, it should show that you are grateful and mindful.
Sample thank you letters to help you
Given below are some sample letters that will guide you in writing a thank you letter to stepmom. You can use some of them as templates too.
Just fill in the blanks and you are good to go.
Thank you for existing. I know this might seem a bit weird but I am writing this to say thank you to you. You have always been a pillar of support for me.
I remember that day I was getting graduated. Only you saw how nervous I was. I still remember how you came to sit next to me and comforted me with your kind words.
I love you, Mom.
Please accept this little gift from me. I am sending you Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte because that book somehow reminds me of you.
Looking forward to coming home from Christmas.
Today, I have decided to tell you how grateful I am to have you as my mom.
Since my childhood, I have seen you struggling to adjust in our family. I know it was hard. But I am happy to see how integral you have become for us. Your love for Karen and me has made both of us realise the value of a pure relationship.
The cakes you baked and the sherbets you made, always left us awestruck. Your efficiency and honesty have made me look up to you. I love you, mom.
I wish you a hundred more happy birthdays.
I will be with you for dinner tonight.
Yes, this was my surprise.
Take care, Ma.
How are you? I am fine here and I hope you are also doing good. It has been a really long since we talked over call. And in this world of technology, I hate how everything needs to be quick. That is why I am writing this letter to you. Perhaps, this is the only way to convey my gratitude towards you.
Throughout my teenage, you have been a rock-solid support for me. The first time I got my periods, you were there to calm me down and explain it to me. You are my solace in this world of mean and really competitive people. You make cookies to comfort me after a tough day at school. You gave me dating lessons. You showed me how to dance.
Thank you for being who you are mom.
Never change for anyone. I admire you.
I love you.
I hope we meet really soon. I will come home on Christmas.
Please take care of your health.
Thank you for the kind of person you are. If I am very honest, I was sceptical when you came into our family after the death of my mother. It was hard to let anyone else take her place.
But you have always been so warm and caring. It never felt like you were not a part of this family. The efforts you took and the love you spread made all of us comfortable around you.
I particularly love your cooking, mama. I looked forward to Thanksgiving and New Year just because of the turkey that you cooked and the cakes that you baked.
Thank you for being so kind.
I am sending you a little picture of us together along with the letter.
Always remember, I love you, Mama.
I am writing this as I am travelling by train to go to Paris for my office trip. We were all talking about our parents and suddenly I had this urge to talk to you. I know I have never been very expressive with my feelings. But I want to say Thank you for being my mommy.
You have always been a go-to person for me. Every difficulty that came across me, became a very small deal after talking to you. You have these magical powers of solving everything.
I love you, mommy.
I will call you as soon as I can.